- Complete our registration form
- Recent photo of yourself and you with children
- Medical certificate
- Police report check
- A letter to the family about yourself (where you are from, hobbies and experience of looking after children)
- Two written references
A Mother’s help is required where the mother is at home with children and she wants another pair of hands to help with the care of the children and the home. As a Mother’s help there is more responsibility, younger children and/or longer hours and more housework.
Typical duties include:
- Light housework
- Assisting the mother with her daily routine from the time the children get up until they are in bed
- Laundry, light cleaning, assisting with shopping
- Are not expected to take sole charge of a new born or very young children
- Can live in or out
- Pay is £6.50+ per hour for live-out position
- 35+ hours per week
- Works up to 10 hours, 5 days per week
- Babysits 2-3 evenings per week
- Receives at least 1 full free day and 3 evenings off
- Minimum pay £130 – 35 hours, £150 – 40 hours, £180 – 45 hours for Europeans
- Minimum pay m£180 – 35 hours, £210 – 40 hours, £230 – 45 hours for non Europeans
Current Home Office advice is that nationals of 8 new EU Member States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary) must register as a worker if they plan to work in the UK for more than one month and if their total earnings exceed the threshold for tax and National Insurance. The threshold is currently around GBP 110 per week.
Registration is a formality. Once they have been registered and working legally in the UK for 12 months, without a break, they will have full rights of employment.
For more information visit the GOV.UK website.
Please see the Au-pair page of this website for more information about au-pairs.